Monday, May 21, 2007

dvd weekend

Seena and I get netflix, and I sometimes take out movies from the public library. This past weekend, I had several dvds and conducted my own marathon. I also went to two yoga classes, had dinner with friends, and cooked a bit on my own. It was a rainy weekend, so it felt good to stay in a lot.

Impulse-control disorder still a problem. What do I need to do to keep myself from doing things I shouldn't? My therapist says being mindful will help. I am pretty mindless, so remembering to be mindful has proven difficult. Meditation is supposed to help with mindfulness; I should start a meditation practice, maybe in the evenings after getting home, maybe in the mornings after yoga, if I can make myself get to sleep earlier.

In my yoga class at OSU, we all had to do a final project on yoga, and I did mine on yoga and depression (which basically said that having a daily practice was the major thing that helped my depression -- having the discipline to do something even when you don't feel like doing it). One girl did her presentation on yoga and obsessive-compulsive disorder. It was totally funny because she said that many people have something that they have to make just so, like she had to have the dark side of her blanket up at all times, and she'd wake up in the night to straighten it out. I sat there trying to think of something, and I just couldn't. It didn't come to me until later, when I was walking home, obsessing about a boy or something, when I realized that I do have my little obsessions and compulsions, and I wasn't even aware of them.

Another girl presented on yoga and temptation. She made us all bracelets out of lengths of colored string, and each string represented a breathing or stretching exercise you could do to keep from giving in to particular urges. It was good for me for a little while, but the strings got dirty, and later I lost the bracelet. I'm thinking now I should make myself another bracelet, a kind of yoga rosary with beads or leather strips of different colors, something more durable. Actually, that sounds like a very good idea; will look into materials right now.

No comments: