Shane and I arrived last Tuesday in Chicago and came back a week later. We stayed with some of Shane's friends and explored the city. I went looking for jobs; had four initial interviews, gave one demo lesson, and received one offer.
I couldn't decide whether to accept the job offer, because even though the school seemed like it had a great community of teachers, it was far from where I'd want to live, and it was a transitional bilingual classroom instead of a dual-language one. I asked them if I could wait a week to give them an answer, and they said OK. The school where I had given a demo lesson (which didn't go very well) told me they'd give me an answer on my application in a week or two, so I took several days to think. Finally, I called the first school yesterday, like I'd said I would, to accept their offer.
They called me back to tell me they didn't think I was going to accept, so they'd already hired someone else for the position. Then they asked if I would be willing to teach kindergarten, which I am not, and anyway, I'm not certified to teach it. So then they said they'd get back to me next week to see if they could put me in a 2nd grade classroom. Needless to say, I won't be taking a job with them, since they flaked out on me big-time.
Now my plan is to wait to hear from the other school. If they offer me a job, I plan to take it. If they don't, then I will be contacting other schools. I had attended a public school career fair and given out my resume in Chicago last week, so I may get some calls in a few weeks about setting up interviews.
NEW YORK
Back in the city, we were busy preparing for bedbug extermination. My roommate had bedbugs in his room, so we had to wash and bag up all our sheets and clothes for a thorough spraying. The building (and the city) is infested with bedbugs, so when our downstairs and upstairs neighbors sprayed, the bugs came to our apartment for refuge. Nasty!
Shane's sister Alana and her husband, Rich, are visiting this weekend. We went to a Yankees game this afternoon, and it was tons of fun.
1st inning: The Royals get hits right away, which is bad news for the Yankees.
Kansas City 2, New York 1
Top of 7th inning: The Royals get a grand slam, making us all very sad.
Kansas City 10, New York 6
Bottom of 7th inning: The Yankees reduce the Royals' lead.
Kansas City 10, New York 8
8th inning: Yankees tie!
Kansas City 10, New York 10
Top of 9th inning: Royals get a home run off the first pitch.
Kansas City 11, New York 10
Bottom of 9th inning: Yankees tie again!
Kansas City 11, New York 11
Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!
New York 12, Kansas City 11
No comments:
Post a Comment