Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween weekend with Shane

I must apologize to Secret Person, whose comment urged me to pull myself out of the slump, because I will not be posting any costumed entries with photos this Halloween. First of all, I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post photos unless I borrow someone's camera or take regular photos and scan the prints, which always takes me forever. Second, mid-week Halloween means no dressing up or partying, because it's a school night. Third, I have not celebrated Halloween in YEARS and fell out of the practice of wearing costumes when I was about, oh, 12 years old.

The negativity you hear in this and my last comment results from disinterest in schoolwork. Of course, this is nothing new for me; many of you will remember my long months in the rut while trying to finish my master's degree in Ohio. Most of the coursework here feels completely useless much of the time, especially when you get a bad grade on something because the professor didn't specify how she wanted you to do an assignment. Normally, I would work myself into a fury over something like that, but now it is simply par for the course, and it is hardly worth my while to fuss about it.

There is one class I take seriously this semester, and it is the one associated with student teaching. We talk about our student teaching placements and how to implement multicultural, inclusive education in our classrooms, and this is the only time I feel I am learning anything genuinely of use this semester.

Anyway, grades don't matter in education, if you're planning on being an elementary school teacher.

Another reason I'm disinterested in school is because other things in my life seem to be going quite well. Things with Shane, for example. We found a cheap flight from Knoxville to New York this past weekend, so he arrived Saturday morning and left this afternoon. I went to school on Friday so I wouldn't have to go in today, which is only a half day anyway. We had a wonderful time just the two of us hanging out. We went to the movies and the Bronx Zoo, worked on a puzzle, cooked, and ate a lot.

On Friday, Shane and I are going to meet in Baltimore. He wrote some music for his friend, who choreographed a dance that is going to be performed there. I have the Saturday class the next day, so we have to rush to get back to New York before that. Sunday is the New York City marathon, so we're going to cheer on one of Shane's friends, who is running it. It's going to be another fun weekend together, but this time including other people, haha.

Because I'm spending time with Shane, I'm not really that concerned about school. I know that may be alarming to some of you, but I think without him I'd be quite depressed about my awful classes.... Instead, I am actually quite happy!

No comments: