Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Finally, an apartment

I went to Chicago again this past weekend. Once landed, I went straight to the rental agency we've been working with, and our agent showed me some places. I didn't see anything special.

This time, I stayed with Jill, the sister of Shane's friend David. She was super nice and offered to give me rides everywhere the entire weekend. Saturday night, we went out to dinner at a Thai place in her neighborhood, and then we went to a movie. We saw Mamma Mia, which was extremely silly, but entertaining enough. Not having eaten much at the restaurant, we gorged ourselves on popcorn and soda. It had been a long time since I'd gone to the movies and done the whole popcorn/soda thing, and it was pretty fun.

Sunday I went out looking for apartments again, this time through Craig's list ads. David drove into town from Aurora and came with me to see places. We saw three apartments near the train station in Logan Square, the area where I'll be working. All three were good, but they were also all more pricey than we would have liked. The last one was especially suitable, located about five blocks from the school where I'll be teaching, and only a five-minute walk to the train in the other direction. The prices were high because the locations were convenient to public transportation and the areas were safer. So I took that last one.

Done with (and tired of) apartment hunting, David, Jill, and I went for a walk to a park. David left to return to Aurora, and I knitted while Jill and I watched a few episodes of Lost. I had never seen it before, and now I'm hooked. I've been watching the first season on the internet, because they're streamed for free (well, almost free -- you have to watch ads).

These major tasks out of the way, I have only to focus on packing up my stuff, which also means trying to get rid of shit. It is so hard for me to get rid of things!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jeanne, it's Emily from Taiwan. It's very nice to see you're going to start another new life!! I miss you so much!! Reading your blog keeps updating news about you, which is great. Please keep in touch, write me when you're available.