This weekend was supposed to be the second and last weekend of the conflict resolution practicum. I attended last night's session, but today I told the instructors I probably have pink eye, and they basically sent me home. Because it's a practicum, I need to be present to get credit, so they've suggested that I take the mediation weekend in the next summer term to make it up. Unfortunately, I will be in Guatemala at that time. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it in the fall....
I'm a bit peeved to not be allowed to sit it on the class this weekend, but it's probably for the best. I've had a cold now for most of the week, and I've gone in to work most days, only taking a half day off on Tuesday, when I had a fever. This week was crazy at work, so I had to be there. Needless to say, that has not been good for the cold. I've been coughing a lot and practically losing my voice. I probably would've been useless in class anyway.
Still, if I hadn't told the instructors I probably have pink eye, and instead passed off the affected area as simply an allergic reaction, I could've stayed. I'd have made sure not to touch my eyes and to refrain from touching anything shared, like flip-chart markers. What's the worst that could have happened? Somebody else might have gotten pink eye.
And what is pink eye? Your eye gets pink, maybe it's itchy, and you get lots of eye boogers. The worst part of having pink eye is being ostracized by others because you are highly contagious.
It's Saturday, so I can't see a doctor. I called my doctor friend, Bill, just to make sure I was not a dangerous biohazard on legs. We had a laugh about the pink eye and the paranoia we've all been conditioned to have about it. He said it usually clears up on its own after a few days, so there's no need for special drops or anything unless the infection is severe and/or prolonged.
I could have gone back and told them that I'd seen a doctor who told me it was just allergies. Maybe they'd have believed me, but to tell the truth I don't mind taking it easy this weekend. Maybe I'll finally get over this stupid cold.
So now I'm at home, cooking myself some chicken soup for lunch. I'll probably nap, watch dvds from the library and netflix, read a bit of a novel, and/or take a hot bubble bath. Seena has gone on vacation to Norway for ten days, so I have the apartment to myself. Tigger and Bibbo are here keeping me company. Having conjunctivitis pretty much rules out a social life, since nobody wants to infect him/herself, so I'm spending the weekend quarantined. Shane, who also had a nasty cold and the pink eye earlier, and I have agreed not to hang out together much this weekend, because we've probably been giving each other mutated cooties by spending so much time together.
Thus, I'm off to take it easy and laze about. It's sad not to be in mediation class, but I have to admit that it's glorious to have a free weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment