Airfare sales have proliferated, and so for the past couple of months I have been jetsetting around the eastern United States from the wonderful home base that is New York City, serviced by three international airports.
I went to Columbus again last weekend. I hung out with Luis and Tricia and had a grand old time, as always. I arrived Saturday morning. Luis and I ate out and watched Little Miss Sunshine at the dollar theater. That movie was hilarious, much better than expected after seeing the trailer ages ago. Then Luis took me salsa dancing, which was wonderful because we hadn't done that in a very long time. I hardly remembered any of our moves or how to follow, but I guess I was never good at following anyway. Sunday afternoon I hung out with Tricia at her house, just chatting away the hours like we used to. Monday I had lunch with Debbie and Nancy, then followed them to North Star where I had a freshly squeezed orange-carrot juice and knitted a bit. Tricia picked me up there, and we spent the afternoon in Macy's shopping like freaks. Practically comatose from sleepiness and depressing cloudy weather, we still managed to get great boots that were majorly on sale, and then Tricia had to get new bedding. She dropped me off at OSU, where I met up with Rohit. Rohit and I ate Chinese food and then walked to the old house, where he still resides. I picked up my DVD player to bring to New York and toured the house, just for fun. Luis once again took me to the airport at 5 a.m. the next day, the sweetheart, even though I had wanted to get a taxi so that he wouldn't have to miss out on sleep. It snowed a little that morning!
I went straight to work after getting back to the city. I was exhausted and not very efficient, but that isn't new for me in the office. I was happy to get home and see the kitties. Classes began the next day, which meant a lot of running around getting AV equipment set up for instructors in the program where I work. Dan Meller, an old friend of my college friends, came to school to visit and pick up a video for his friend, so we snacked in the cafeteria and chatted.
Yesterday, I had my first class, Science Curriculum for Bilingual/Bicultural Education, which is to be taken in tandem with a course on teaching math and social studies to bilingual students. It was fun. I wasn't excited about starting classes again, but I feel good about the semester now. This newfound enthusiasm comes from talking about and doing science and math and social studies again. I am so excited to learn and teach these subjects; maybe I'll actually understand some of that stuff the second time around! My first assignment sounds fun, too. I get to write a science autobiography, detailing my experiences with learning science throughout my life. Ah, education school.... You just have to love the reflective/autobiographical papers for which you can never really get evaluated.
This weekend, I am going to do chores and relax. Tonight I'll try another yoga school, because I'm still not sure I want to go to the fancy one I've been considering. Maybe tomorrow I will attend a workshop on inversions called "How to Turn Yourself Upside Down." Sounds like fun, right? Then in the evening Seena and I will go to a concert at the university; they are performing famous Edgar Varese pieces, which should be entertaining. For the new year, my boss gave me earrings and a $40 gift card to Old Navy, so I may be tempted to shop there. I am thinking about saving it, though, because I'll have to get gifts in the future and I've pretty much spent enough time and money supplementing my wardrobe this winter.
Speaking of winter, it finally snowed here last night. I opened my curtains this morning to a thinly blanketed park, and it was a lovely sight. I'm happy it's snowing; it feels as if winter is finally working.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment