Saturday, October 28, 2006

Settled in and home alone

Update on program change: The special ed idea never developed into anything I considered seriously. I have never worked with special ed kids, so I have no idea what I'd be getting into.

Last Saturday through Wednesday I was busy with homework and papers, so I've nothing really exciting to report. So engaged in my work was I that I thought about posting some of my homework on my blog, instead of writing a real entry. Not sure what I was thinking at that moment, maybe delirious from sleep-deprivation.

My job is cool because it's OK if I spend most of my time there doing my homework. My boss is also letting me revise my schedule so that I can do class observations on Thursday and Friday mornings.

Today was rainy. I stayed in to do laundry and some reading. I am pretty proud of myself for getting some work done on Saturdays. Went to Target to buy kitty litter and schlepped the little 21-lb. box all the way home on the subway and walking. There must be a better way!

It's gotten pretty windy, so the weather confirmed my decision to stay in. My classmate Krystal had invited me to a Halloween party tonight, thrown by some TESOL program people. I thought about it; after all, this year is the first in ages that I've come up with some costume ideas. I'm much too tired from the week to go, though, so I'll have to save them for next year.

Staying home can be such a pleasure. I get to hang with the kitties, get some work done, and now that I've gotten a membership to the public library I can watch movies. Seena's away this weekend, so I've got the place to myself. Of course I love hanging out with Seena when she's here, but there's something about getting to be alone for a while that is absolutely wonderful.

Tomorrow the Taiwanese girls and I might go to Flushing, to do some shopping for Taiwanese goods. Then we have study group. We probably won't go to Flushing because of the windy weather, and that's perfectly fine with me. As always, I have reading to do, and it'd be nice if I could actually get weekly assignments done before the week starts, so that I'm not in a nervous rush while in the office.

So there you have it: my life is normalizing and routinicizing, and that means a lot less goofing around. No more stories of nights out and expensive but delicious martinis. From now on you'll have to hear about my continuing saga to try to pick up a daily yoga practice again (I did it today for the first time in weeks), efforts to go swimming (which I haven't done in a month), to snack less while bored at work (a bad habit that just increases as time goes on), to work more on the weekends, mixed with a bit of marveling at the cute kids in the classes I observe.

No comments: