This Sunday started grey and rainy, but now the sun has come out. I'm staying inside today to do laundry, clean, and read for classes.
The weekend has been fun. Friday night I got home after a free yoga class at school, and Seena wanted to go out. We are normally too tired on Fridays to go out, but this Friday was different. We tried a bar near my school, which wasn't all that exciting. We walked over to a Hungarian bakery nearby for dessert. They were closing, so we took our desserts to go. Seena had to go to the bathroom, so we went to another bar near the subway stop. It was a hookah lounge, and they were playing great music, so we stayed there for a drink. My stupid high heels were killing me, so we couldn't stay longer.
On our street on the way home, some Dominican guys were hanging out on the sidewalk, and one of them said "China" ("Chinese girl" in Spanish), and I turned and said, "Dominicanos," and we all had a great laugh. I felt like I was in Mexico again.
Last night Seena and I met up with some of the PhD students from the program where I work. We meant to go salsa dancing at the seaport, but it was cancelled because of rain. We still met up at the seaport and ate dinner. The students in that program are all pretty nice, so it was fun hanging out with them. Sometimes they ended up talking about research and their professors, but at our end of the table we non-program members carried on our own conversation. Tired and full, Seena and I headed home early. When it takes as long as it does to get home by subway on weekend nights, we're not tempted to stay out late.
Sundays are generally for chores. So here I am listening to Julieta Venegas and shouting along to the few words I know, having finished folding laundry, and writing my blog. Anything to put off ironing and reading about teaching literacy to English language learners. Not that those things are not enjoyable in their own right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment