Tuesday, December 18, 2007

End of the semester!!!!!!!





The semester is finally over, and not a day too soon. I finished everything -- student teaching and classwork -- last Thursday.

My last day of student teaching was bittersweet; many of the students got into trouble, and only half the class could participate in my farewell party. This was not my choice, of course -- when is it ever about my choice in student teaching? How awful it was to have to sit there eating cupcakes and cookies with half the class, while the other half watched because they could not concentrate on reading silently. It was a terrible way to end my placement.

They made a little book for me. It made me want to cry, so I had to read it afterwards. They drew pictures and wrote me thanks for helping them. I made them personalized bookmarks to remember me by.

That last week I barely slept at all. I had an exam in one class and was busy working on last-minute things. In retrospect, I shouldn't have worked so hard on my portfolio, which I presented on Thursday evening, since it was not required for my program. But I guess it was a good experience.

To celebrate my freedom from the most terrible semester ever, I went to Tennessee to visit Shane over the weekend. He and Brian had a Christmas party with a white-trash theme, complete with Little Debbie snack cakes and Beer Hunting, a game involving BB guns and cheap beer. We went all out with the costumes; Shane and Brian even shaved their beards to get handlebar mustaches, with astonishing resemblance to white trash.... I was not into the party itself, so I worked on knitting a hat for Shane. The rest of the weekend was wonderfully relaxing.

This week, I plan to do some observations and interviews for my thesis project. Sunday I leave for Rochester to meet up with Shane and his family for Christmas. We spend a week there and then fly out to Tucson for a week. Yeehaw!


Shane & Brian


Brian & Charla

No comments: