Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Weekend at a lake #2

I went away to spend a weekend at a lake again this weekend.

Shane and his family are spending the week at a house on Seneca Lake, one of the Finger Lakes in upstate New York. We took a train (yea! hadn't been on an Amtrak train in probably almost ten years) on Friday to Albany, where we stayed with Shane's sister Alana and her husband Rich, and then drove up to the lake Saturday morning. Shane's parents and Shane's sister Jolene and her baby and dog arrived that evening, and Jolene's husband came up on Monday.

We spent the weekend chatting, swimming, fishing, doing puzzles, going on boats, eating, and visiting wineries in the area. I had brought a huge, maddening pasta puzzle for Shane's parents, and I ended up obsessing over that most of the weekend. (I will forever be known in Shane's family as "the crazy puzzle lady.") We went out on the boat of Shane's other brother-in-law, Brian, on Monday, and lots of people water-skied, but I just settled for being dragged along the boat's wake in an inner tube called "Warp Speed Delta." The lake was refreshing to swim in, but in my clumsiness and delayed sensitivity to injury, I cut up the toes on my right foot walking along the shallow lake bottom by the dock, most likely on the sharp shells of the numerous zebra mussels taking over the lake. Wouldn't be a vacation without hurting myself somehow!

Shane and I decided that I should stay on the lake with them an extra day, because he'll be upstate for two weeks total, coming back for a few days to pack and move to Tennessee, leaving only few days for us to hang out before his move. I hope my boss isn't too upset with me when I return to work tomorrow! In Shane's absence I will have plenty of time to pack up my stuff and get ready to move. There are only a precious few weeks of summer left, and I have to take advantage of my last school-free days for a while.

Once I get photos of the lake developed, I'll post them here. Wow, this has been the summer of lakes -- first in Guatemala, then in New Hampshire, and now in upstate New York!

No comments: