I do actually have more photos of Guatemala, but I only just finished the roll this weekend while taking boring pictures of Fort Tryon Park, and I have yet to develop them.
In the wake of the whirlwind two-week Spanish course in Guatemala, I have very little to report. There have been no volcano-climbing or horse-back riding trips, no spontaneous skipping of class to visit another town on a big, beautiful lake, no leisurely afternoons sipping beer on the lake pier. This also means that there have been no loud trucks and buses passing my window through the night or being woken by stray dogs barking incessantly, no tiring four-hour classes to attend, no inoperative toilets....
It is, of course, nice not to be taking any classes at all. I have about a month before I begin student teaching, and thus only about a month left at this job. In that month, I need to secure a new place to live, pack, and move, because I've decided that I need to live somewhere with a lower rent. I hate moving, though, so I have my heart set on taking over Shane's apartment, just a couple blocks away and probably furnished, because I would be taking over the furniture Shane doesn't bring to Tennessee when he moves there in a month. I have to apply to the management company (which requires an application fee, but at least there is no exorbitant broker's fee!), and then I'd have to find roommates. Then, I'd have to start on a thorough cleaning, because Shane's current roommates aren't exactly neat-freaks. All this because, even with a substantial raise in rent, it is much more affordable.
Moving is pretty much the only thing on my mind at the moment. Saturday I did have a lovely brunch in the hood with my classmate Alexis, who may be moving to Washington Heights. We found a cute restaurant where we sat in the back garden; I had duck hash and she had blueberry pancakes, and we both had mimosas. Afterwards, I napped in the park. The weekend weather was fabulous -- sunny but breezy and as low as 65 degrees overnight. I didn't even have to use my fan at home! Today, however, is a grey and gloomy Monday, very rainy, actually a bit chilly, especially if you're dressed for the usual warm weather. Nevertheless, the cool is welcome in July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment