Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving! Four-day weekend! Woohoo!

Luis arrived late Wednesday night. Seena, her little sister, Luis and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner the next day. We opted for free-range chicken rather than turkey, since it was just the four of us and we couldn't find small turkeys. It was lovely. That night after dinner Luis and I went down to the cinema near Lincoln Center and watched Volver, the new Almodovar movie, which was fun.

Friday we had big plans, but we only ended up getting out after lunch. Luis and I went down to Central Park and walked around a bit, enjoying the nice, sunny day. We went to the Central Park Zoo, where we saw some cute penguins (better than the ones at the Columbus Zoo) and our favorites, the otters (but not as cool as the ones at the Columbus Zoo). Then we went into F.A.O. Schwarz, that huge toy store with the gigantic keyboard featured in that '80s movie (yeah, you know the one). We ended up spending a lot of time there. Luis was fascinated by the science experiment toys, especially the little cars with fuel cells or solar panels. I have to admit they were pretty cool.

Seena and her sister had waited in line to get tickets to a Broadway show, so they helped us get some, too. Nothing really great had tickets anymore, so Luis and I ended up watching a ventriloquist, who turned out to be pretty funny. Since we didn't have time to go back to the apartment uptown, we wandered around downtown, making our way to the Broadway theaters. We stopped in the NBA store because Luis couldn't pass it by, and then we stopped to eat some burgers in a restaurant on the way. We were late for meeting Seena and her sister to get the show tickets, so we ran out of the restaurant and hopped in a cab, our hands still smelling like burgers and fries.

I went to see Luis off at the airport the next morning, then came home to sleep some more. In the afternoon, I met with my two Taiwanese friends, who needed to go shopping for winter boots. I took them to DSW, where they got cute boots, and then to Old Navy, where we got some silly $20 corduroys. We were pooped and hungry, so I introduced the girls to Chipotle and Americanized "Mexican" food.

Luis had helped me erase my laptop's hard drive and reinstall software because it has been a mess. I'm really grateful to him, because now my laptop is behaving itself! I've spent the weekend downloading shit onto it, which is probably setting it up to get all messed up again, but at least it's not as slow as before. Another thing I'm thankful to Luis for, he sent me two boxes of books I'd left in Columbus. I picked them up this weekend, so now I have my books!

This was a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I'm so happy Luis got to see New York and that I got to spend time with him.

No comments: